Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Don't Laugh In Court


Yesterday, I had to tell my self not to break out with a belly laugh in Family Court!

When my daughter went through her divorce 12 years ago , I would get physically ill sitting in court and watching my daughter's soon to be ex and -n-laws putting her through the mill with new charges and court dates.

One such charge was when she had the audacity to keep Stephen at home on Mother's Day! Imagine a mother wanting to be with her own children on that day. That one made her ex-n-laws so mad that they tried to get her put in jail!

Well, my daughter took me and the Bible seriously when it said to turn the other cheek. I must confess though, there were times I just wanted to punch a few cheeks, but I restrained myself.

She never denied visitation and yet somehow, the paternal grand-parents took her to court for Grand-Parent visitation. Their hope was to take Stephen to Korea to Dad and his dad's adulteress and leave him there for them to raise. I never said they were particularly intelligent people!

Well, being a God loving Mother, my daughter kept her chin up, her attitude positive, and tried her best to be the best Mom and person that she could. She kept the door open for visitation because she was always taught that a child should never be blocked from having a relationship with any part of their family.

As a result, Stephens' father decided not to see him for the past 9 years, the grand-parents dropped in and out and now back in to his life and they are actually now regretting all that took place in the past to upset the relationship.

But the best part of all, in court yesterday, my daughter, who was worried that her minuscule child support (from when he made $900 a month) would be going down now that Stephen is 14 actually saw her child support almost double!

Her ex-husband had to do a conference call from Northern California to the Judge. Now this is a man who has had four more kids and his adulteress turned wife is not working. When the Judge asked when my daughter's ex last saw Stephen, he said "around 2000." Mistake #1. When the Judge asked if there was a reason why his (my daughter's ex) wife couldn't work, he told the Judge "NO". Mistake #2. When the Judge asked him if he would like to consider a hardship considering the number of kids her ex has at home, my my daughter's ex didn't understand what the word hardship meant, and he said "NO, I'm fine paying what I do right now." Mistake #3.

Bottom Line Visit your child, zip up your pants and ask for the Judge to explain anything you don't understand!

1. Getting a divorce from a man with no self control = over $25,000

2. Fighting one last time in court without a lawyer = $ - 0 -

3. Hearing your ex-husbands reaction when the Judge doubles his child support because he never visited his child = $ PRICELESS!!!

No comments: